Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Best Teachers

The large box was sitting on the porch when we got home.
She spied it right away.
What could be in there?
Is it something for me?



The opening revealed unexciting contents:
her booster seat, accidentally left in our dear friend's car and an envelope for Mom.
Booorinnnnng!

Then her eyes went back to the big box, FULL of packing peanuts, just sitting there.
Her eyes lit up.
And in the way that moms have of taking the fun out of everything, I said,
"Please don't make a mess all over the floor with the peanuts."
Then I went about my business.
A few minutes later I walked by the room.
And I couldn't help but smile.



Did she make a mess?
Yes. (And this is before she got OUT of the box!)
Did she seize an opportunity, as children usually do, to live in the moment?
You betcha!








As a mom who struggles
with living in the present moment,
I realized I have an excellent teacher right here.
I envy her ability to create fun in that box.
How big a box would I need to be able to climb inside?
Let's not go there.










Fast foward a few weeks. My hubby was out of the country, visiting his family in Grenada. I had completed one week of solo parenting, pretty smoothly, I thought. It was bedtime for Chloe and I asked Trent if he could read her story with her. He did this willingly and with all the funny voices (how I am thankful for his sweet big brother moments!)
When I came in to kiss her, he had turned out the light and was cuddling with her.
I gave them both their goodnight smooches and turned to walk away.

Trent said, "Oh no, you are not getting away that easily. You have to come lay down with us and make a Chloe sandwich. This is a silly family tradition where two of us cuddle a little one in the middle to make a "sandwich."

Bossy, isn't he?
Wise, too.
Because MY mind was on the tasks I still needed to complete dowstairs..laundry, dishes, and a few church emails.

But, really, there was no place I needed to be more than right there,
cuddling with my little and not-so-little kids,
enjoying their love,
at the end of our day.


Matthew 18:3
And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully put! It takes a wise person to see the moments we must not pass up. thank you for sharing that. It made me want to rewind and see what have I missed and to be sure to be awake when the time is there for me not to miss those moments. Thanks Lindy!
    Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn. Being awake - yes! Sometimes for me, looking back only brings guilt and regret. Looking forward is more helpful. And choosing every day to enjoy each moment!

      Delete
  2. No guilt or regret allowed! Only happiness and joy! The most important thing you will ever do in your life is raise these beautiful children. Precious memories. Precious moments. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids give us so much & teach so much about ourselves. They are the greatest most precious gift God gives us. When the mundane parts of life have a way of stealing our joy, our kids give it right back in spades. Love my kids- love the better person I am because of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our kids teach so much about ouselves, and about love & priorities. They are the most precious.gift God gives us. Love.every moment with them- the laundry house email work can wait. Kids will be gone before you know it. Joy in the moment!

    ReplyDelete